Friday, April 04, 2008

Blue Food

I've got the boy to myself this weekend, so I made him shepherd's pie- one of his favorite dinners. It conveniently helped use up a bunch of leftovers and remnants to make some room in the fridge. I made a broth from the chicken and lamb bones plus some veggie scraps, then got a roux going while some blue potatoes baked. After I whisked the broth into the roux, I added leftover braised cabbage, carrots, onion, a little of the parmigiana sauce that I saved, and the very last of our frozen peas. Once all thick and bubbly, a good schmear of the potatoes mashed with a little yogurt made tops that got gently brown under the broiler to finish.

And that was it: quality kid food that treated me pretty well too on a rainy evening. And I baked more potatoes than we needed so I can make blue gnocchi for Sunday.

6 comments:

Zoomie said...

Did he laugh to see the blue cover or is he still too young to know it's different? I laughed.

Hunter Angler Gardener Cook said...

Disturbing...yet brilliant -- in both senses of the word.

Heather said...

I love shepherd's pie. Nice touch with the blue potatoes - bet the boy loved it!

I saw some purple name root at the Asian grocery store yesterday. Gonna figure out how to cook and eat such a thing.

peter said...

Z: He has no idea.

H: It's weird how blue is such a wrong-looking food color,, isn't it?

H: He LOVES him some shepherd's pie. I have no idea how to cook or eat such a thing. If anyone can figure it out, it's you.

We Are Never Full said...

I think you may have singlehandedly created the best kids meal ever! Weird that my stomach is grumbling looking at that mashed blue potato. Really looks good!

peter said...

A: I actually used both hands. The blue is cool, right? I'm kind of obsessed with these spuds right now.