Sunday, May 03, 2009

Onglet, Terre

Another blast from the past, this is bison hanger steak (that's hangER; we're not writing about airplane food, people) sous-vided for an hour or so at 52˚ C and then seared in smoked duck fat and served with the following goodness:

1. Green mash of overwintered pan di zucchero and curly endive plus ume plum with lemon juice, olive oil, and garlic.

2. Our amazing Purple Passion® asparagus- these three were the very first spears, but now we're getting 6-10 per day- quickly browned in the meat-searing skillet.

3. Parsnip-garlic mustard gnocchi (garlic mustard is one of the most delicious wild weeds out there, on a par with lamb's quarters for purity of flavor and delicate texture.) I took the leftover parsnip purée, added an egg and a little flour plus the herbs and blasted it all in the processor until smooth. Then it went into the pastry bag, and I cut them right into the boiling water, skimming them as soon as they floated.

4. A wine of some sort.

5. How fucked up is it that ™, ®, and © are all on the keyboard, but the peace symbol or even a heart are not? I'm just saying. Excuse me while I go dip my hand-crocheted dreamcatcher in patchouli.


8 comments:

The Spiteful Chef said...

True-dat. The modern keyboard is almost entirely devoid of emoticons from the hippie era. It's a travesty.

Zoomie said...

Great title! Drool-worthy food! Good writing! You give great value on your blog.

Chris Rywalt said...

™ is on your keyboard? What kind of keyboard are you using?

♥ is perfectly good HTML. No footprint of the American chicken, though. But you can type out "I ♣ baby seals" or "I ♠ my cat".

cookiecrumb said...

I ♥ "onglet, terre."

Chris Rywalt said...

If you're serving it with gnocchi, shouldn't it be "I ♥ lombatello"?

Heather said...

Yeah I don't have ™, ®, and © on mine either. I have to use my Alt+ number sequence trickery to get special symbols.

Hanger is a fajita's cut.

I'm too dense to get what I'm sure is a completely droll display of punnery in your title.

peter said...

Kristie: It's totally harshing my buzz.

Zoomie: But wait, there's more!

Chris: I can't find the heart on mine. Steve Jobs must have eaten it.

CC: Aaaaw.

Chris: You again?

Blanche: Well, learn some French. And I like flank for fajitas; hanger has too much character.

Hunter Angler Gardener Cook said...

Damn hippies...

Big fan of hanger steak. Love them diaphragms.