Friday, November 30, 2007

Wow

I am so very, very lucky to be able to head down to the city on short notice and have dinner at Kris & Ken's house; they always have the best food, wine, and company possible and thus my gustatory horizons never fail to be widened. Wednesday night was no different. Herewith the summary:

Aperitif: 2005 Wegeler riesling Wehlener Sonnenuhr

Sea bass with daikon sprouts and olive-olive oil sauce
1997 Jose Michel Brut Champagne

Salad with wood pigeon and (my) duck prosciutto
1989 Clos des Papes

Filet of beef wrapped in bacon, twice-roasted potatoes
2000 Roty Gevrey-Chambertin 1er cru "Les Fontenys"

Cheeses
1988 Jaboulet Hermitage "La Chapelle"

After
1989 Moulin Touchais Coteaux de Layon (my contribution)

The champagne was a treat. Delicious.
The Clos des Papes was sublime. Unbelievable. Ken: "An experienced lover."
The Gevrey-Chamb was not the right wine to follow the CDP, but over time it softened and got kind of funky. (Average white band vs. P-Funk funky in comparison.)

We tasted the Hermitage blind, and I actually guessed it, but opened my mouth just as Kris told us, so I don't think anyone believed me. A weird year, and it makes me very excited to open the 1989 that I bought in Paris back when the dollar was worth somewhat more than toilet paper. We all enjoyed the Moulin Touchais, even though it's more of a spicy first course wine than a dessert wine due to the extreme acidity which balances out the sugar.

Overall, an exceptional night. Tasting these great wines with some real age on them in the company of people who have such astonishing palates is an extraordinary pleasure and privilege. I have to give Mary's new wine venture a plug at this juncture; for anyone who's looking to find a superlative price to quality ratio in their wine choices, check out the just-launched Thoreau Wine Society.

No comments: