Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Ma Po Tofu

This is a standby favorite, and when I went to buy tofu this afternoon there were fresh local snap peas at the store as if to underscore the wisdom of my choice (ours are only just flowering.) So half the ground pork I got on Saturday, plus the tofu, garlic, ginger, hot peppers, and a sauce made from the shrimp/miso broth, tamari, rice vinegar, a drop of agave and flour to thicken it went into the wok in roughly that order. Scallions to garnish, and the bolting tatsoi from the garden cleaned the wok out with some lemon. Served on brown rice, with a Crios Torrontes that has such a strong lychee note that it cries out to go with Chinese food. Although to be fair, if I had made this really hot like it's supposed to be (and like we did pre-Milo) an off-dry riesling would have been the better match. Never one to sweat the wine pairings, Christine made up for the lack of spice by larding hers with sambal oelek.

2 comments:

cookiecrumb said...

OK, Peter, I'm going to jump into your blog here on the 13th of June, even though today it's June 22.
I'm wild about your posts. Yay!
I want to link you to my ma po tofu post, at which time which I was a complete beginner, and also to link you to the blogger who taught me what to do.
AND: For some reason, I think you'd be muy simpatico with my friend Sourdough Monkey Wrangler, so I hope you'll check him out.
xx

peter said...

Cool. Thanks. I will check them out when I have a minute. Nice to meet you, and honestly I make the dish in question differently every time, and never "correctly" (whatever that means. In the words of a musician friend, "crazy make-em-ups" are the specialty of the house.