Monday, September 15, 2008

About Freakin' Time

Finally, after much schlepping, I get to be home for a week. Then, after about 5 days back in the city, I'll be home for a good long chunk of time and get to return to the normal pace of life. I can't wait. Meanwhile, this week will be taken up with much canning and pickling since everything's finishing up for the season. I have three or four beds planted with winter crops, ready for their plastic covers once the temperature starts to drop at night. If all succeeds, we'll have greens, salad, herbs, and a good variety of roots to last us deep into winter.

There wasn't a ton of time to make this, but it's hard to beat garden stew in any form. This version had chicken thighs, which simmered with potatoes, carrots, radishes, onions, garlic, radish greens, yellow beets and a nice mix of herbs (basil, parsley, thyme, rosemary, tarragon, sage, and chervil) for about an hour until all was tender and the jus was golden and unctuous. And that was it; another one-pot wonder brought to you by the plants outside our back door. Because I left the camera's USB cable in Brooklyn, you will have to go on with your life without having gazed upon a bowl of vegetables and chicken with chopped parsley scattered insouciantly on top of it.

4 comments:

Jen said...

I'm making a similar thing today - we got our farm share and I still have the leftovers of the carcass from the chicken I made last night, so late summer stew, here I come.

Heather said...

Well, if you're going to use words like "insouciantly" I don't really need a photo, do I?

Zoomie said...

Ditto "unctuous."

peter said...

Jen: I'm all about the carcasses.

Heather and Zoomie: I'm also all about the insouciant unctuosity. And the unctuous insouciance. Pretty much anything in that general area.