Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Harmonic Convergence

I was talking to a friend last week- who teaches fish at the Culinary Institute- and I mentioned that we tried some organically farmed salmon from New Zealand recently and that it was excellent. He said that when they can't get the Alaskan king salmon, that's what they use. I'm still trying to decide how I feel about farmed fish, and there are certainly degrees of difference between how varying companies do it. I need to do more reading.

In the meantime, here is some of that fish, made into nigiri sushi with the last of the fennel risotto from Vermont. I also turned a zucchini in the saladacco, then marinated the "noodles" in a mixture of salt, soy sauce, cider vinegar, nam pla, and yuzu juice for about half an hour. I squeezed them dry and served them in a little ball- they acquired a lovely silky texture and a nice balance between the flavors of the squash and sauce. Playing the role of tsukemono this evening were more of the honeydew pickles. I also "made" a big plate of black krim tomatoes with salt and oil. Very clean, fresh, and satisfying- a seamless fit with this gorgeous weather we've been reveling in.

7 comments:

michael, claudia and sierra said...

i'm sorry, but i gotta say that the leftover risotto/salmon sushi idea was brilliant!!! i love that one. next risotto batch i will purposely have leftovers...

Zoomie said...

Even yummier than the food are your serving dishes - more of your self-made one?

Heather said...

Nice-looking nigiri. I never know what to do with leftover risotto except arancini, but this idea is steal-worthy.

Hunter Angler Gardener Cook said...

As for farmed salmon, you need to know where it's coming from. Provenance matters in this one. A lot. There are a few companies that don't pack with antibiotics, don't overstock their pens and who let areas lie fallow for several years so the sea can scour them out. I can find you some of these companies if you are interested...

Oh, and Heather: There's nothing wrong with arancini -- I used to eat three every day for lunch back in Jersey. Mmmm...

peter said...

Claudia: Yeah, it worked. The fennel/salmon synergy was a bonus.

Zoomie: Yup.

Heather: Steal away.

Hank: From what I've learned, they get the fish from one of the better NZ joints.

The Spiteful Chef said...

Here's a question: I start at CIA in less than two months, and I do NOT eat fish (with the exception of tuna sashimi), shellfish, innards of any kind, blue cheese, or mayonnaise. Are they going to press this issue? If I refuse, will they take away my chef whites? Also, will they get all huffy if I take my chef pants to a tailor so they don't look so much like I stole them from the reject pile in MC Hammer's dressing room? These are questions you should ask your friend for me. The instructor is going to be sorely disappointed when he discovers that "heeeeere comes the airplane! Open your mouth" no longer works on me. At least, I don't think it does.

peter said...

Which one? Hyde Park or Greystone?
They'll probably just point and laugh, then fail you, then hoist you and your bespoke trousers up the flagpole for the wedgie of your life.