Thursday, March 18, 2010

Meh

I have a bunch of posts to get to, but I hurt my back making bread–yep, disregard everything I said about it before, it's DANGEROUS and should be avoided at all costs–and then managed to get a flu-ish thing at the same time, so it's been a pretty lame week. Today I felt halfway normal. Last night I did make dinner, and it turned out remarkably well, probably because I wanted so badly for it to be the kind of hotspicysavorysatisfying ordnance that would crush malevolent microbes into dust.

I took some super-wiggly pork stock and mixed it with some leftover chicken and mussel stock and simmered it all together with cubed tofu and shredded kale. Boiled some soba. Caramelized some oyster mushrooms. Soup, noodles, mushrooms, scallions, cilantro, kimchi for salt and crunch, and a big fat squirt of sriracha to make it very hot indeed. This shitty few days did teach me one thing, though: good Nicaraguan rum is excellent for both sore throats and sore backs.

3 comments:

Zoomie said...

Interesting to mix fish with meat and fowl stocks - hope all those critters made you feel much, much better.

Anonymous said...

Sorry you hurt yourself. Bread baking is exercise and with exercise there is always a risk. You should have stretched first.
:0)

peter said...

Zoomie: It's what was in the fridge, and it did.

Mimi: I literally just turned to pick up the bench scraper, and twang! I was on my ass for most of three days. It's never happened before.