Saturday, May 06, 2006

Dinner with new friends

I went for a lovely meal at the equally lovely home of some new friends, Kris and Ken, who have elevated love of food and wine to an extraordinary level and delight in sharing it. We began with a creamy shrimp risotto which we had with both a 2003 Riesling and a Savennières, both of which I've forgotten the names of. Next a gorgeous salad of wilted frisée and squab, with an oxidized 1989 La Nerthe, replaced promptly by a much better Châteauneuf, a 1990 I think, which I'm also at a loss to remember. I liked it more than my hosts, and it got better in the glass. The third course was lamb, wrapped in bacon, served with my (now seemingly inevitable) 1992 Beringer which we enjoyed; it does have subtle character which is not easily found in California. We also had something else with the cheese- a Chave Saint Joseph- but who takes notes at such a nice meal? Simply great.

No comments: