Sunday, January 04, 2009

A Quick One

Back in June, I discovered that if you make a spinach pie sort of concoction but roll it up like a cigar (spliffakopita in Greek) you can avoid sogginess and have the whole exterior flaky and crisp. In order to avoid redundancy, here is the link to the post documenting this momentous discovery. It's important enough to repeat that the addition of chopped broccoli really does take it to another level. We still had some roasted beet salad in the fridge, so I blended that with yogurt and the last daub of kalamata-feta purée to make a deep fuchsia beetziki to accompany the pie.


























And better yet, rummaging in a cupboard I came upon a little container with the forgotten last two dark chocolate truffles I made on new year's eve. I forgot to mention them in that post, so here they are: 74% cacao with butter, heavy cream, maple syrup, and a little tangerine juice, then rolled in a mixture of kinako, cacao powder, and the sugar from some crystallized ginger. My first try making chocolates- without a recipe, of course- and they came out really good in that sophisticated barely-sweet grownup way that I was hoping (in vain, also of course) would keep Milo from wanting to eat them all.

7 comments:

michael, claudia and sierra said...

spliffakopita = good shit

Peter M said...

Interesting but the question remains....can you smoke it?

Brittany said...

I remember your spliffakopita fondly....

And chocolate and orange is my fave. I'll need to try adding ginger to that combo for a triumvirite of adult only chocolatey goodness.

Heather said...

Chocolate and orange is my flavorite combination, too!

I can't think of anything wittier to say right now. It's early.

Zoomie said...

I usually make truffles at Christmas but skipped it this year - just not in the mood - but nothing beats the homemade ones, does it? Yumm!

NAVAL LANGA said...

I have read some of your posts and would like to revisit, as I like your writing.

If you like reading short stories and paintings, then a visit to my blogs would be an interesting one for you.

Naval Langa
SHORT STORIES by NAVAL LANGA
PAINTINGS GALLERIES

Another Interesting Blog
LIFESTYLE AND RELATIONSHIP

peter said...

Claudia: Ffffffftttp... you know it... fssssssshhhhh.

Peter: That would be really good, actually, but maybe just for a bit, then finish it in the oven to avoid too much of a good thing.

Brittany: Two great tastes that taste great together.

Blanche: Try puking. That usually helps.

Zoomie: Nope. Plus, now I actually know how to do it.

Naval: Thanks for coming by, and for the links. I'll come take a look soon.