Sunday, January 18, 2009

So Sue Me

Now I realize that this is the first time in the history of the internets that a food blogger has ever posted a meal out of order, and I humbly beg your indulgence for the inexcusable affront to all that is decent and proper that is this post. The meal in question dates from before my trip to the city, and will have to suffice because the culinary adventures of the last two days have not resolved into the kind of finished yummies that make for satisfying postage. So, to sum up: you'll read this, and you'll like it.

The first course was a pretty heavenly puréed soup of lobster broth with roasted kabocha squash and a dribble of heavy cream. Who knew this combination would be good? Seriously- lobster and cream in a soup? I should get an award for this. Lobster shells are probably the single best means of amortizing the cost of a luxury item across at least one other meal, and this one did not disappoint. Sweet, rich yet light, creamy, complex, lobsterlicious- it was a perfect bowl of soup.























Next up was some "good" farmed salmon- a term which is open to debate, but I believe that those (few, unfortunately) places that are trying to do it responsibly deserve our support- broiled with a smattering of dried herb and spice and served atop leftover black rice tossed with caramelized and then broth-steamed brussels sprouts. This one also worked out pretty well; it wasn't exactly a stretch, but it's nice to work with standards sometimes since they deliver reliably and don't make my head hurt.
























I honestly have no idea what wine we drank with this, though I'm pretty sure it was wine. Likely one of the now increasingly endangered Pleiades XV that I discovered recently. You will all doubtless be happy when they're gone- because I'll move on, and drink something else- but I will be a mere shell of the man I am today, already pining for this lovely wine.

5 comments:

Zoomie said...

That soup - and the soup bowl - have me dreaming. You once said you'd consider shipping some of your creations West - does that offer still hold? I've got some lobster broth in the freezer right now so I'm off to get the kabocha at the market!

Heather said...

Tossed with caramelized what? I'm dying over here.

Peter M said...

That big hunk of salmon is gorgeous as Heather asked, caramelized what????

peter said...

Zoomie: If you guys are serious, have CC email me and we'll see if we can work it out. It will take some time.

Blanche and Peter: I caramelized the sprouts, then added broth to steam them. Not my clearest piece of writing.

michael, claudia and sierra said...

busy but reading...

a coma would solve the confusion
for the record...i for one was not confused
beautiful food - the salmon dinner was the kind of thing i am eating now but in very small amounts ... sigh