Monday, July 13, 2009

Ace Of Diamonds

I ordered a bunch of geometric cookie cutters for making the next batch of plates, and when they arrived they got me thinking about all sorts of other possibilities, on account of I'm a sucker for geometry and all. Our neighbor brought us over a trout, and I had broken my no-buying-vegetables-in-summer rule (which is fairly easily broken) at a nearby farmers' market for some purple cauliflower because ours didn't come up this year. And we had sweet potatoes in the pantry.

So I steamed the two vegetables, and puréed them with enough of the steaming water to get them silky. The trout got the customary treatment: wrapped in parchment with butter, garlic, and thyme, then put in the oven. Using the largest triangle cutter, I made a little pedestal for the fish, and used the luscious juices from the parchment as a sauce. I briefly considered thickening it and whisking in some capers, but there really wasn't any point; everything was right in the sweet spot between delicate and substantial.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

That looks so pretty, and easily slurped off the plate with minimal denture work by an elderly retirement community resident.

Wait, those are my high school colors.

Zoomie said...

I can't think of a better meal, nor a prettier one. Simple. Perfect.

peter said...

Brooke: It's one step away from being a nursing home smoothie.

Zoomie: I wish we could eat more of the trout around here.

Hunter Angler Gardener Cook said...

Nice idea! I like the geometry and the colors. I am a bit surprised that the cauliflower kept its color.