Sunday, October 01, 2006

Lasagna

Still more rain, this time with the closest and loudest lightning I've ever heard (it blew all our surge suppressors and killed the phone) wanted another comfort-centric response, so I schlepped to the store after I thought it broke and got thoroughly soaked on the way home, to the point where a stranger gave me a ride, seeing that my feeble paper bags were about to dump dinner all over the sidewalk. The joys of a small town.

Thus did I procure lasagna noodles, and shiitake mushrooms, and a can of tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella. The mushrooms, an onion, summer squash, herbs garlic, and the tomatoes made a sauce that thickened while I cooked the noodles. Then built the thing, and grated parm all over the top. Blanched some kale in the pasta water, then tossed it in ume vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper while the dish bubbled in the oven.

Just great with another 2002 Cheze Saint-Joseph, which is now my favorite under-$20 bottle save Peiades; there was a moment, glass in hand, smelling the wine and the still-bubbling cheese together, that defined perfectly how heavenly a good match can be.

No comments: