Saturday, March 22, 2008

By The Book

So the chicken I wanted to make yesterday waited patiently until today, and received a totally traditional treatment. No fancy anything. Fingerling potatoes roasted with garlic cloves and rosemary, steamed broccoli, lemon-pesto gravy, and a salad of our amazing baby greens that are really shooting up now that the days are lengthening. I'm working on some ideas, so sometimes auto-pilot is a good way to fly.

In keeping with tradition, a pinot noir to go with the roast chicken- a 2006 Siduri. There's quite a breathless review of it here, which I enjoyed, but I do have to say that after the wines on Thursday (and in light of what I'm learning about my own taste as I get deeper into it) that by the second glass the charm diminishes, and thereafter the thrill is gone. I've mentioned before that their single vineyard pinots are much better- and they are- but even they are not playing in the same league as well-made Burgundy. It sucks, because the dollar is fast approaching parity with toilet paper, and good Cali alternatives would be most welcome. But the really good ones cost as much as grand cru Burg, in which case why bother?

2 comments:

Heather said...

I'm tellin' ya, the $5 Prosecco from Trader Joe's is very drinkable. There are still good, cheap-ass wines that don't come from a jug.

peter said...

True dat, but there's "drinkable" and then there's "builds a Gothic cathedral of gossamer and cast iron in your mind so that for a brief moment your mouth is the exact point where Heaven and Earth intersect and it makes you weep."