Friday, March 07, 2008

Thousands Of Miles In The Blink Of An Eye

So today I was told, pursuant to Christine's trip to the market, that a nice vegetable coconut curry would be a good idea for dinner; that seemed a doable, if predictable course, given the quantity of animals we've dispatched this week (last night, a lovely lamb stew at our neighbors' house.) But then, upon throwing wide the fridge door, I did see shiitakes, and broth made from lamb and chicken bones, and our own kale from the freezer, and lo I transported the country of culinary inspiration to Italy instead. Just like that, because I can. Italy, India- what are a few letters when ignoring my wife's request is what really matters? Besides, she loves everything I make.*

Thus the chick peas I had soaked and simmered became the base for a lovely rich stew that included the juice from a can of tomatoes, leftover steamed sweet potatoes, and a big hunk of what was fatback and became- post trimming for my homemade lardo that's now under way- a big strip of pig skin with some fat attached. This all simmered for a bit while I caramelized the mushrooms with garlic, and deglazed with wine, then threw the kale into the same pan with still more garlic and deglazed that with lemon juice. Not a pretty plate, but deep, varied, and satisfying, and well met by another 2006 Saint-Cosme côtes du Rhône- a sturdy and assertive country table wine fit for this kind of peasant fare.



















* This assertion has a margin of error of plus or minus one broken whiskey bottle wielded menacingly while I cry and apologize.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Abusive spouse, eh? Maybe if you didn't ruin dinner she wouldn't have to resort to kicking your ass.

I love chick pea dahl, especially with sweet potatoes. Curry and sweet potatoes don't just match aesthetically, but they taste good together too!

peter said...

Yeah, there's something about chick peas and thick, spicy sauces. The sweets work well too, and if they're leftovers they break apart and thicken things wonderfully.

As for the abuse, I might have exaggerated for effect; she usually only hits me when my sauces break.